POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Globe on Stand (37k) : Re: Globe on Stand (37k) Server Time
4 Oct 2024 21:11:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Globe on Stand (37k)
From: Ken
Date: 15 Feb 1999 11:24:42
Message: <36C849F1.15406D94@pacbell.net>
Colorman (Kraxmel) wrote:

> I tried it, and it really looks better.  (Its attached)
>
> I ended up going with Bob's suggestion of the clipped plane and put a white
> sphere behind the camera, and played with its radius till it looked ok.  It
> did white out some of the stand just a little bit, but I am not too
> concerned with that (I would guess if I moved it back some it wouldn't do
> that as much).
>
> Anyways, thanks for all the info!!!  I really want to learn POV-Ray (I even
> printed the manual - all 320 pages :).
>
> Cman

...out of the darkness of night it came proud and statuesque.

Really does bring out a metal finish. Now all you need to do is add a finish
statement to that white plane you are using. Since you are new you probably
don't know that Pov has a default finish for objects that don't have one
assigned by the user. I thinkd the defaults are diffuse 0.7 and ambient 0.2.
That diffuse value of 0.7 is really high in my opinion and can be seen in
evidence by the near halo like glow coming from the bright spot on the floor.

Try something like:  finish{ambient .3 diffuse .35}

This will mellow it out some and put more focus on the object and not the
bright spot in the image.

Cheerio,

--
Ken Tyler